Thursday, 5 February 2009

United 93

So, I watched United 93 at home instead of at uni,; in a way I'm glad I did because I absolutely cried my eyes out.

I've never wanted to watch the real footage because it's just too much to process, and I thought this film was going to be a distasteful re-enactment that shouldn't have been made. However, I've come to realise that a film is the closest thing we'll ever have to understanding what those people went through.

You can't say "it's just a film" and try to forget about it because it's not, it was real, it happened. I don't know what to say. Just to imagine being there, knowing death was imminent, not being with loved ones, it's just too painful.

It was bold filming it right to the very last second, the frantic desperation to live really choked me up; you could feel the fear, the determination, the last minute of hope and courage.

As for the terrorists, I don't even want to waste my time trying to comprehend why they did it. It's horrifying to see what lengths people will go to for their own personal beliefs. It's certainly opened my eyes and I think it should be an event we all remember and use to give us courage in the face of those that do us wrong.


On a lighter note, Collateral was interesting, although I fell asleep on my first attempt to watch it. I liked Tom Cruise' character even if he was a murderer, he had one of those personalities.
At least it included a good song, Shadow on the sun by Audioslave.
Here's a link to one of my favourites of theirs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdCfcjmxouo
It's one of those 'moment' songs that just really grabs you...if you like that kinda music anyway. Turn it up!!